Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pecan Pie

I went down to visit my brother in New Orleans over spring break and I decided to surprise him with one of his favorite pies, a pecan pie.  Since I was flying down, I had to take my pie on the airplane in a pie carrier.  Once I got to Houston and people started asking me what kind of pie I carried, I had to fight of the hordes of people who wanted to get their hands on my pie.  Pecan pie in the South is a hot commodity, especially if it's being carried around an airport by a girl in boots.
    This recipe is a little bit different than the recipe that I normally make.  I got this recipe off of Cook's Country, another affiliate of Create Tv.  I must say, this recipe is delicious.  I enhanced the flavor of the pecans by roasting them before I put them in the pie and it was amazing!  This pie isn't too heavy, isn't too sweet, but is definitely sticky and pleasing, everything you want from a pecan pie.
  So with Easter just around the corner, I suggest that you surprise the ones you love with this ooey, gooey, sticky Pecan Pie.  The perfect dessert for an Easter meal.


1 cup Maple syrup (the real stuff please)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp of molasses
4 Tbsp of butter, cut into cubes
1/2 tsp salt
6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups of toasted and chopped pecans
1 9 inch unbaked pie shell
Serves 8 to 10

INSTRUCTIONS
Toast pecans:  Scatter pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Roast in the oven on 350 for 5 minutes, stir and then  put back into the oven for another 5 minutes.  When nuts start to smell toasted and look lightly brown, remove from oven and let cool.  

Then make the filling: Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat sugar, syrup, cream, and molasses in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Whisk butter and salt into syrup mixture until combined. Whisk in egg yolks until incorporated.
 Bake the pie: Scatter pecans in pie shell. Carefully pour filling over. Place pie in hot oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until filling is set and center jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 45 to 60 minutes. Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about 3 hours and up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment