Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Banana Split Cupcakes

My upstairs neighbors are always helping me out when I need it.  Today I needed to use their CD burner to make a CD for something important and they helped me out.  So I decided in order to pay them back I would make something delicious.  Originally, I was thinking something silky and chocolaty, but then with Valentine's day right around the corner, I decided to do something a little bit different.  I went leafing through my cupcake recipe book and found a delicious recipe for Banana Split Cupcakes.  I didn't change a thing about this recipe, but I do know that the book is now out of print and I'm not sure the recipe is online.  
    This recipe only makes 12 cupcakes, so if you need to make more, make sure to double it.  The cupcakes are delicious.  I normally don't eat a cupcake after I make it, but these were so good, I couldn't resist.  HEAVENLY!  A mini banana split just for me... perfect!


Ingredients
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 medium banana)
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup buttermilk  (you can make this with 1/4 cup milk and 1 tsp of vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes)
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped and toasted walnuts  (toast them by putting them in a pan on medium heat, watch carefully and stir, when they start to smelly nutty, remove from heat)
2 milk chocolate bars  (I used three pieces of chocolate chunks from a bag that I had)

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 to 2 Tbsp milk
1/2 cup of toasted coconut (use the same processes as for the nuts, just don't let burn)
12 maraschino cherries

In a bowl combing the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.  In another bowl combine the banana, butter, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.  Add the dry ingredients and stir until mixed well.  Fold in the nuts.  Put cupcake liners in a cupcake pan and then fill 1/4 of the way fill using an ice cream scoop.
Top each one with a piece or pieces of chocolate.  Then fill the with the remaining batter til the cupcakes are 3/4 full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.

While they are cooling, mix the frosting.  Use just enough milk to make it smooth, so that may be more or less than 2 Tbsps.  Once the cupcakes are cool, frost and sprinkle immediately with the coconut.  Then take the remaining chocolate bar and heat it in the microwave.  Drizzle over the cupcakes and place a cherry on top!  Enjoy your treat!  No need for a spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment