Search This Blog

Monday, December 31, 2012

Thick Apple Pie

     I love apple pie.  There is nothing better than a thick slice of apple pie; the smells of  the cinnamon and sweet sugar, crisp, tart apples, flaky pie shell and it's just HEAVEN on Earth.  I'm pretty sure that I inherit this love of apple pie from my grandpa, who believes that pie is the greatest form of food to ever exist.  Elderberry, blackberry, raspberry, or any kind of fruit pie and he was happy, but apple was was his absolute favorite.  Unlike me, grandpa likes his apple pie filling to be runny, I like my apple pie filling to be thick and stay in place and until this pie, I never had any luck.  My grandma always told me that is was all about how much liquid was in the apples and I believe that there is some truth to that, but I also think that giving the apples some time to sit and give off some of their juices and then adding more flour to the filling, helping to create a thicker filling. 
   If you're in the mood for pie, this is the pie to try.  Nothing is better than the smells that waft from your oven when you're cooking an apple pie.  It's the perfect treat anytime, not just for fall.  I love apple pie for Christmas, the cinnamon and sugar mixed with the tart apples, yumm, my mouth is watering as a type this.  So give this pie a try and enjoy!
     As for pie crusts, sometimes I make my own and I'll include the recipe, but other times I use a refrigerated pie crust that you can buy in the store.  I know that that is technically cheating, but if you're in a hurry, it's the way to go

Pie Crust Recipe 
2 c. flour
3/4 tsp of salt
1/2 c. lard or vegetable shortening
3 Tbsp of COLD water.

     The key to good pie crust is to not touch it, work with it as little as possible and to not use much water. 
Sift the flour and the salt together into a mixing bowl.  Use forks to work either the lard or vegetable shortening into the flour.  Add the water until it just comes together.  Then roll it out and lay it in the pie plate.  This is the way my mom does it.  When I do it, I use my food processor, but I just barely process it until it just comes together.  It should still look at bit crumbly.  I take it out of the food processor and bring it together, roll it out and put it in the pie plate.  The key is keeping the lard or shortening from getting warm. 

Pie Filling
1 c. of sugar
3 to 4 Tbsp of flour
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp of salt
6 to 7 cups of sliced Granny Smith Apples
2 Tbsp of butter
1 Tbsp of lemon juice
Bowl of water

    In order to keep the apples from getting brown, peel and slice them into water that has a 1 Tbsp of lemon juice in it.  Make sure that they are well coated in the water and then drain them.  In a giant bowl add the sugar, 2 Tbsp of the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Mix the apples into the sugar and flour mixture and let sit for half an hour. 
    After half an hour, check the consistency of the apples and add the rest of the flour.  You want the mixture to be incredibly thick before you pour it into the pie pan.  Once you have poured the apples into the bottom crust, dot the top with the butter and roll the other pie crust over the top.  Seal it by using a fork and gently pushing the two crusts together.  The pie will seem incredibly full, but as it cooks, the apples will cook down.  Cut a slice in the top so that the steam can vent out.  Then take your basting brush and cover the top pie crust lightly with milk.  Then sprinkle a generous helping of sugar across the top crust.  Cover the edges of the pie with tin foil and bake at 425 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until the center crust is brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment