Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Feta, Shrimp, Cucumber and Orzo with Lemon Dressing

I'm not really sure what brought on the idea of making this pasta dish besides the fact that it looked really good and would counter the spice of the jambalaya dish that I was also making.  I originally had found this while watching the Foodnetwork and I didn't make many changes, but I did leave out quite a bit.  I'm not a huge fan of dill, hate raw onions and forgot to buy parsley at the store, but I figured I would try it anyway; the worst that would happen is I would have to figure out a way to jazz it up.  However, with the roasted shrimp, fresh lemon juice and feta, the pasta dish was perfect anyway.  So without much ado, here's my pantry version of Feta, Shrimp, Cucumber and Orzo with Lemon Dressing, the original recipe links follows at the end. 

 salt
olive oil
3/4 pound orzo pasta
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used two lemons)
1 tsp lemon zest
black pepper
1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut in half
1 cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and diced
3/4 pound feta cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9  minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest,  1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.
Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!
Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add cucumber, onion, 1 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.   YUMMMMMMYYYY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment